Making a super spongy cake like the one you see on the cover is much easier than you think and it has nothing to do with adding huge amounts of yeast to the dough. For its preparation, only three essential ingredients are needed, eggs, sugar and wheat flour, and follow the advice and the manufacturing process that we tell you.
The sponge of the cake will depend on the milkshake of the eggs, so it is vital to have the help of electric rods. Although if you feel like exercising your arm, some manuals will suffice. All the tricks and recommendations to get the sponge cake are listed below.
To take into account when making the sponge cake.
- We use eggs size L (weighing between 60 and 62 grams each, without shell) because the total weight of the egg in this recipe should not exceed 250 grams. If so, the amounts of sugar and flour would be insufficient. However, eggs of another size can be used as long as the maximum weight is respected.
- For these quantities, we use a removable container 18 centimeters in diameter and 7 centimeters deep. If the height of the container is smaller, you can line the edge with sulfurized paper to give it more height. Another option is to use a container of 22 centimeters in diameter in which the cake will not be as high, but the fluffiness will be the same.
- Before putting the container in the oven, it is necessary to turn it on at 160º C with heat up and down and without air. The oven has to reach this temperature. Otherwise, the cake will not grow well.
- Each oven has different functions and features. Therefore we recommend that you monitor the cake during baking. If the edges grow more than the center, it is a sign that you need more heat so the temperature will have to rise. If, on the contrary, the center part grows a lot and fast and cracks, it is a sign that the oven temperature is excessive and will have to be lowered a little.
- Finally, we place the container on the hot oven tray, set in the second oven position starting at the bottom, and not on the rack. This will transmit the heat to the base of the cake and help it rise and become spongy.
For 6 people
- Eggs L (at room temperature)4
- 120 g wheat flour
How to make the sponge cake
- Total time: 50 minutes
- Preparation 15 minutes
- Cooking: 35 minutes
We separate the whites from the yolks in two different containers. We beat the egg whites, better if it is with electric rods to save us the effort. When they begin to foam, we add half the sugar, letting it fall in the form of rain and still beating. We only stop when the rods draw a stroke in the egg whites.
Then, without washing the rods, we beat the yolks together with the rest of the sugar. The color will change, and they will turn pale, they will also increase in volume by the amount of air incorporated. As with the whites, we stop beating when the rods draw a stroke on the yolks.
We combine the flour into the bowl with the beaten yolks, once a homogeneous mass is obtained, we pour it into the container (remember, 18 cm in diameter x 7 cm high and with a removable base) whose base we have covered with a disk of vegetable paper so that it can be easily demoulded . If the container used is not non-stick, we can spray the walls with spray to unmold or spread with a thin layer of butter. Then we smooth the surface and introduce the mold into the preheated oven at 160º C.
We will do it on the tray (not on the grid) that we will have placed in the second position starting from the bottom. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until we see that it is well cooked. This will depend on the furnace of each one, as well as the temperature that can oscillate 10º C up or down.
The cake starts to brown after 20 minutes. If this is not the case, it will be necessary to adjust the oven temperature accordingly. After 30 minutes a good tuft will have formed on the top. Nothing happens if it cracks, even if it is less aesthetic. This happens because it has grown too much.
Once the cake is removed from the oven, we let it temper before unmolding. It will go down a bit; there is no need to worry because it is perfectly normal as it is also that the surface wrinkles. So yr delicious spongy cake is ready now. Now its time to take the first bite.